Brechin Castle Centre is committed to reducing its impact on the environment. We recognise that this is a continuous process of development and will periodically review performance on the commitments we have outlined below.
- We meet or exceed the requirements of relevant legislation and appropriate codes of practice.
- We actively promote recycling both internally and amongst our customers and suppliers.
- We encourage staff to be energy aware by switching off all electrical equipment and lighting when not in use.An in-house awareness programme is being developed, and information on environmental issues will be incorporated into appropriate training to encourage good practice.
- We source and promote product ranges to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution.
- We actively promote the use of peat free and lower peat content products by raising awareness of the issues and selling peat replacement products at similar prices to products containing peat. Peat based composts offer a tried and tested growing medium at a reasonable price, but can be damaging to the environment through habitat reduction and carbon release.
- We sell and promote a large range of products that encourage birds and wildlife into the garden as well as trees and shrubs that absorb a high volume of carbon and give out large quantities of oxygen.
- Use local suppliers and produce wherever possible.
- We will not use materials derived from endangered species or environments.
- Our furniture is purchased in line with the FSC (The Forest Stewardship Council) policy and our Anteak Root Furniture supports Trees4Trees organisation which empowers local communities through partnership reforestation initiatives and related education programs.
- We actively promote the use of shopping Bags for Life